e-Commerce services started way back in the 1960s. When firms began to use Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) to exchange documents of their business back and forth. The 1990s saw the expansion of online shopping businesses, which is quite common today.
Business, be it barter system exchange or purchasing and selling of tangible and intangible goods has been prevalent for decades and centuries. No one can self-accommodate. And this brings out the need for demand and supply of goods and services. The exchange has been going on all over the globe for centuries, locally, and across locations. Keeping the same concept in mind, now think electronically through e-Commerce services.
What is e-Commerce services?
E-Commerce services, also known as e-Business services, or electronic business, is simply the buying and selling of tangible and intangible over an online platform. It also involves electronically transferring data and monitors between two or more parties through a gateway. Simply put, it is online shopping as we commonly know it.
It has become so friendly and easy, that anyone can shop for almost anything right from their living room, with just a few clicks. This has evolved more with the introduction of smartphones, where now, you can shop from anywhere according to your comfort level, with a smart device connected to the Internet. Now you can search for almost any goods or services online, without going to go anywhere physically.
What is an e-Commerce website?
e-Commerce websites are online platforms that facilitate online transactions of products and services through means of the exchange of data and funds over the Internet. In the prior days, e-Commerce services were done partially through electronic mails and phone calls. Now, with a single website or an application, anything and everything that can be measured monetarily can be pulled online.
There are various e-Commerce websites for every niche. The most common type is retail selling of products and services, but there are many others too, like auction websites, B2B services, music portals, Online consultancy websites, financial management websites, and many more. You can build such websites by hiring dedicated developers.
What is Mobile E-Commerce Services?
Mobile e-Commerce services simply mean purchasing and selling away of products, done by customers using their smart mobile devices.
With wireless smart devices taking over the globe, quite literally everyone uses their smart devices more often than the huge laptops or desktops – to browse through the internet. There has been a huge increment in transactions done through smartphones in the last decade – so the benefits of mobile e-Commerce services are significant.
Types of e-Commerce Websites
Different e-commerce websites are referred to differently, based on the need they fulfill.
- Business-to-Business (B2B): Electronic transactions of Products and services among companies.
- Business-to-Consumer (B2C): Electronic transactions of Products and services between firms and consumers.
- Consumer-to-Consumer (C2C): Electronic transactions of Products and services between consumers, mostly through a third party.
- Consumer-to-Business (C2B): Electronic transactions of Products and services where individuals offer products or services to companies.
- Consumer-to-Administration (C2A): Electronic transactions of Products and services between individuals and public administrations.
- Business-to-Administration (B2A): Electronic transactions of Products and services between companies and public administrations.
Importance of e-Commerce Service
With the increase in the use of smartphone and laptops, there are a lot of advantages of e-commerce services like –
- Global market reach
- A global choice for consumers
- Short product/service distribution chain
- Lesser costs and pricing
Disadvantages of e-Commerce Services
And there are some risks too with e-commerce –
- Fraud and online insecurity
- Data privacy issues
- No testing or checking of services or goods
- Dependence on electronic technologies
What Makes a Good e-Commerce Website?
If you are looking forward to starting an e-Commerce services website, there are a few things that you need to understand to be successful in the business. Make no mistake, there are several e-shopping websites out there in the market, and the top few are such big brands that they control most of the market share of the e-commerce services.